[tor-relays] Testers needed for Nyx beta release

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Oct 30 20:32:53 UTC 2017

> Is FreeBSD supported? I've run into a few hurdles, and overcame several, but
> can't get over the last one.

Hi. Yup, FreeBSD is supported *but* I don't have a system to test on,
so I rely on user reports like this to provide comparability.

> I had to do:
>
> sudo pkg install py27-sqlite3

Perfect! I'll change Nyx so when sqlite3 is unavailable on FreeBSD it
suggests for folks to run that.

> And also run nyx with:
>
> sudo -u _tor ./run_nyx -i 127.0.0.1:XXXX

Gotcha. Nyx attempts to connect to some default locations but if
you're running on another port it indeed needs the '-i' argument.
Unfortunately I'm not sure of a good self-discovery mechanism. Would
alternative messaging help?

> $ sudo -u _tor ./run_nyx -i 127.0.0.1:XXXX
> nyx: environment corrupt; missing value for
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./run_nyx", line 14, in <module>
>     nyx.main()
>   File "/usr/home/ryan/nyx/nyx/__init__.py", line 147, in main
>     nyx.starter.main()
>   File "/usr/home/ryan/nyx/stem/util/conf.py", line 289, in wrapped
>     return func(*args, config = config, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/home/ryan/nyx/nyx/starter.py", line 90, in main
>     os.putenv('LANG', 'C')  # make subcommands (ps, netstat, etc) provide
> english results
> OSError: [Errno 14] Bad address

Interesting! Any time you manage to make Nyx stacktrace that's a bug
on my part. I'll get a fix out for this tomorrow.