[tor-relays] UbuntuCore (botnet?)

Chad MILLER chad at cornsilk.net
Mon Oct 30 14:22:18 UTC 2017

I am probably responsible for the existence of these UbuntuCore relays. I
package something with this name, but I do not have a lot of insight into
its users, who are anonymous.

I do have package download statistics, so I can tell you that on a new
release, there are about 1700 downloads of those packages, with about 50
downloads each day normally.  (They should start automatically and be
updated automatically.)

I'll push out v 0.3.1.8-1 today or tomorrow, so you should see the nickname
increment a bit (+4 or so).

-chad

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 1:09 AM, nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:

> Paul Templeton:
> > These nodes are popping up everywhere - is this some sort of malware
> being deployed on systems around the globe?
>
> I wrote about them in April 2017:
> https://medium.com/@nusenu/is-this-a-ubuntu-based-botnet-
> deploying-tor-relays-and-bridges-b4ce1a612039
>
> I assume they are not setup by humans.
>
> Since back then the overall CW fraction of these relays increased about
> x4 (currently 92 concurrently running relays).
>
> That is about position #69 on the list of biggest operators by CW fraction
> https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats/maincwfamilies
>
> --
> https://mastodon.social/@nusenu
> twitter: @nusenu_

Chad Miller    chad.org    gpg:a806deac30420066