[tor-relays] Testing Golang relay implementation

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 22:13:07 UTC 2017

On 27 Oct 2017, at 09:00, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

>> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 02:56:03PM -0700, Michael McLoughlin wrote:
>> After another look at the spec, I still believe the descriptor I'm
>> publishing conforms, as was my intention.

Each of the bugs you found are very useful to us, because they help
the next person who tries to implement something that works with Tor.

In particular, we almost forgot this one:

If directory authorities treat the "proto" line as mandatory for non-Tor
implementations, we should probably document this fact here:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n773

I opened a ticket:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24023#ticket

>> Sorry to have caused all these
>> problems :(
>
> No, don't apologize! It's great that there are people implementing
> from our specs, and it's great when they find bugs with tools that
> made bad assumptions and expectations. :)

You should see the list of changes we made to tor-spec.txt when
implementing a simple OR protocol client in Python. About half of
the last 20 spec changes were triggered by that project:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/log/tor-spec.txt

And here's the project repository:

https://github.com/teor2345/endosome

That spec is much clearer now!