[tor-relays] tor network change and event detection

George george at queair.net
Mon Oct 23 20:03:00 UTC 2017

nusenu:
>> As some of you know, TDP did a little suite of shell scripts based on
>> OONI data to look at diversity statistics:
>
> I think you mean onionoo (not OONI).

Yes.  Sloppy on details when thinking conceptually sometimes :)

>> In other words, daily reports would be run on, say, bw consensus by
>> country, and if there was some statistically significant change over N
>> periods of time, it would be noted. Or if a particular OS drops or
>> jumps. Or if a particular AS jumps or declines for relays, bridges,
>> whatever.
>
> something related:
>
> https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetRadar/
> as ML: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/ornetradar
>
> https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats/
>

> Then there is (will be) metrics-bot, I made some feature requests
> similar to your examples above here:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23937#comment:1
>

> also related:

This is all good stuff, some of which I've seen before.  Really impressive.

Maybe I'm missing something from my quick view of above, but I'm
thinking about more general reports about the network, though.

For instance, the OP was about a decline in relays in July, but it's not
being noticed until late October.

https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html?start=2017-06-01&end=2017-10-23

Was it picked up by any alerts earlier, especially those two big and
short-term drops?

Exception reports are generally drastic changes that might be noticeable
with general changes of the full snapshot of the network and its nodes.

Let me give this a bit more thought, but thanks nusenu.

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682