[tor-relays] Monitoring multiple relays

DaKnOb daknob at daknob.net
Fri Oct 20 17:57:44 UTC 2017

It depends on what you consider “professional” monitoring. Do you mean information collected, or how was it collected?

Is measuring something from the tor process using bash scripts and cron professional?
Is measuring network traffic using Prometheus and plotting to Grafana professional?

For a few nodes I control / controlled I measured lots of network info such as:

- Network Traffic in / out (b/s)
- Network Packets in / out (p/s)
- Network Flows in / out (f/s)

And I always run a local resolver, so DNS info too:

- Query Responses / Second
- Query Latency
- SERVFAILs / Second

The DNS info was gathered only in one node, as an experiment, since I wasn’t sure whether it could leak information, and only for a limited amount of time.

Would be interested however to see what you’re building!

Antonis