[tor-relays] "Bug: Duplicate call to circuit_mark_for_close"

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Oct 17 23:29:09 UTC 2017

tor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm troubleshooting a Linux relay where the Tor service is having
> problems. External monitoring alerts indicate both the ORPort and
> DirPort are unreachable (TCP connection timeout). I can ssh in and the
> Tor service is still running. The node seems to have increased memory
> usage at this point but there's no evidence of OOM. I restart the Tor
> service, monitoring says all is good again, and things seem fine for a
> bit, until the cycle repeats hours later.
>
> I'm still investigating, but one thing I immediately noticed was
> hundreds of these lines in the logs:
>
>   [warn] circuit_mark_for_close_(): Bug: Duplicate call to
> circuit_mark_for_close at ../src/or/onion.c:238 (first at
> ../src/or/command.c:579) (on Tor 0.2.9.11 )
>
> I found https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20059 but it's
> marked as fixed with a backport to 0.2.9.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hello,

Thanks for running a relay.

You are on 0.2.9.11 and #20059 was merged in 0.2.9.12
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/ReleaseNotes?h=release-0.2.9

There is no sense to report this further because the issue is fixed, you
are just one release behind.

As for the relay, I am pretty sure there is a firewall or something
which throttles the incoming / outgoing TCP connection a
process/user/pid can initiate or something like this. The problem is
either in the operating system itself either a network-level firewall or
built-in router firewall.