[tor-relays] dnsmasq configuration for an exit relay (Debian)

Igor Mitrofanov igor.n.mitrofanov at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 19:23:13 UTC 2017

Ralph, you seem to be more concerned with minimizing the number of
hosts involved in a DNS lookup, and you (correctly) believe that
running a recursive resolver yourself, as opposed to delegating it,
decreases that number. If a DNS provider like Hurrican Electric is
your main concern, then I think we are in agreement.

I assume, however, that most of these ISPs have no technical
capability or business incentives to be engaged in Tor traffic
correlation. When it comes to Tor traffic correlation, I am more
concerned with defending Tor users against the already-known
attackers.

According to the leaked documents, there is a large, but not global,
passive adversary confirmed to intercepting and analyzing IP traffic
between targeted hosts, without the capacity to control all network
links, and without the legal authority to hack the hosts themselves. I
am making an assumption that Tor relays sending DNS requests to a
large and diverse number of destinations can make practical
DNS-assisted traffic correlation prohibitively expensive.