[tor-relays] AU Relays and data retention

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Thu Oct 5 09:07:21 UTC 2017

teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 4 Oct 2017, at 22:52, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > But I'm not a lawyer, so you should get your own lawyer.
> > Or run a relay outside Australia.
>
> Or run an exit, because exits never know client IP addresses.
> All they know is the destination. And internet destinations are
> excluded from Australia's retention regime.

     That might not be good enough.  An Exit node can also be an entry point
to the tor network.  An Exit node can also even be a Guard node.  Also, an
exit node need not be an Exit node, depending upon the particular ExitPolicy
involved.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *