[tor-relays] About relay size

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Tue Oct 3 07:07:26 UTC 2017

teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 2 Oct 2017, at 16:54, Santiago <santiagorr at riseup.net> wrote:

> >> ?
> >>
> >>     Huh?  What kind of ISP NATs its customers' connections?  Your ISP
> >> should be assigning your machine/router a legitimate, unique IPv4 address.
> >> The assignment is often, even usually, a temporary assignment via DHCP,
> >> but it should not be a private address.  If NAT is a factor, that should
> >> happen at the boundary of your own private network, not at an ISP's facility.
> >
> > It seems that a French ISP was also planning to share an IPv4 address
> > per four costumers.
> >
> > ?
> >> ...  One typical problem with running tor
> >> on a NATed machine behind such a device is that the NAT table grows until all
> >> of the real memory on the device has been consumed and there is no more room
> >> for new NAT entries.
> >
> > I am not currently able to replace the modem/router my ISP provides. But
> > I'd plan to give it away in the future.
> >
> > In the meantime, I think it would be great to have IPv6-only relays, to
> > avoid this kind of NAT-related issues.
>
> We'd love to make this happen, but the anonymity implications
> of mixed IPv4-only and IPv6-only (non-clique) networks need
> further research. Search the list archives for details.

teor,
     Couldn't that be taken care of in the tor client code?  For example, a
client, having chosen a path through which an IPv6-only relay, could extend
the path by one hop to tunnel through a node with both types of interface
published?  A related question is can a relay with only an IPv4 address
published currently set an IPv6 OutboundBindAddress?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *