[tor-relays] Feedback wanted: letter to my university's library

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 15:51:42 UTC 2017

On 2 Oct 2017, at 01:18, AJ Jordan <alex at strugee.net> wrote:

>> find out what the rules around Internet usage
>> are, and just set one up.
>
> The problem is that logistically I can't without help,
> unfortunately. I don't have a spare machine to run it on and more
> importantly, I don't have access to a good wired connection. The only
> Ethernet jack I know of is in my dorm room and I can't imagine it's
> very good compared to a datacenter connection. So there's two things
> I'd need from IT.

You might be surprised.

When I was at university, the Ethernet in my room was one hop from
the campus fibre mesh network, so it was pretty good.
(Of course, it was in Australia, so it would never have sent much tor
traffic.)

*If* it falls within your dorm's acceptable use policies, setting up a
relay with a low RelayBandwidthRate would be a good way to see
how well tor works on campus.

But you need to make a judgement call, because having a dorm relay
shut down might affect the library's willingness to run one.

Tim