[tor-relays] About relay size

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 15:33:15 UTC 2017

> On 2 Oct 2017, at 03:53, Santiago <santiagorr at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Hi tor-relay list,
>
>> El 30/09/17 a las 14:02, teor escribió:
>>> On 30 Sep 2017, at 09:55, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
>> …
>> And you can only have 2 tor instances per public IPv4 address.
>
> Why?

It makes it harder for people to start hundreds of relays.

> Is there any place where I can find this kind of info?

Yes, it's documented in the tor manual page.
And search the list archives for explanations.

> Maybe it's another issue, but I have recently tried to run a second
> relay behind the same IPv4 address than my first relay, and the
> connection quality strongly diminished. I suppose my ISP equipment was
> not able to handle the two relays on NAT, but I would need to
> investigate further.

This is typically many consumer NAT boxes.
Every active tor relay has ~6000 open connections to other relays.
Exits have even more.
Many systems just don't have this capacity.