[tor-relays] Feedback wanted: letter to my university's library

AJ Jordan alex at strugee.net
Mon Oct 2 05:18:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 02, 2017 at 07:08:35AM +0200, Moritz Bartl wrote:

> On 01.10.2017 22:52, teor wrote:
> > AWS is an expensive way to run a relay, because they charge per GB.
> > Capped providers can cost less, and you can use AccountingMax to
> > limit your usage.
> >
> > Here's a list of providers that allow tor:
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs
>
> For non-exit relays, you actually don't have to limit yourself to ISPs
> that "allow Tor". Be careful with "unmetered/unlimited" offers. I would
> be honest up front in terms of data usage, and find out what kind of
> "fair use policy" the ISP has. Often, the customer support can give you
> an exact number, even if it's not stated anywhere on their website.

Thanks (to both you and Tim); this is really good advice. I'll look
into it... assuming I can find the time, of course :/

> I hope Alison can help you with the uni library. That's a really good
> idea. Internet and policies can be hugely different between different
> universities, so at least for non-exit relays, it should be pretty
> straightforward: Here also, I would suggest to first (without making a
> lot of noise about it) to find out what the rules around Internet usage
> are, and just set one up.

The problem is that logistically I can't without help,
unfortunately. I don't have a spare machine to run it on and more
importantly, I don't have access to a good wired connection. The only
Ethernet jack I know of is in my dorm room and I can't imagine it's
very good compared to a datacenter connection. So there's two things
I'd need from IT.

Cheers,

AJ