[tor-relays] Feedback wanted: letter to my university's library

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 20:52:53 UTC 2017

> On 2 Oct 2017, at 07:20, AJ Jordan <alex at strugee.net> wrote:
>
> Hey, all!
>
> I'm AJ; I've been lurking on this list for many years but have never
> had cause to post. I've run a Tor relay (`strugees`) on AWS for a
> number of years now, but haven't been able to dedicate all that much
> bandwidth to it due to cost concerns.

AWS is an expensive way to run a relay, because they charge per GB.
Capped providers can cost less, and you can use AccountingMax to
limit your usage.

Here's a list of providers that allow tor:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

> However I've just started college at the University of Rochester,
> which obviously presents a great opportunity to set up a relay on a
> really great network. I'm planning to reach out to the library with
> the following email and would love some feedback:
>
>> Heya!
>>
>> I'm a new first-year student and I'm active in the technology
>> activism community. One of the things I'm very interested in is the
>> Tor Project (https://torproject.org), whose mission is to make it
>> possible to freely and anonymously use the internet, without fear of
>> surveillance or censorship. Tor is used by a wide variety of people
>> - activists, journalists, corporations, law enforcement, and
>> individuals - to gain free access to information and speak their
>> mind. Tor is able to provide this free expression by utilizing a
>> worldwide network of relays run by volunteers. A relay can make a
>> big difference on the Tor network if it's run on a connection which
>> is fast and has lots of bandwidth - like the University's
>> connection.
>>
>> I think it would be really cool if UR would donate part of its
>> internet resources to the Tor network. I considered directly
>> contacting IT, but I thought it actually made sense to talk to the
>> library first since the core values are actually really similar -
>> libraries and the Tor project both know the value and power of
>> unrestricted access to information and are dedicated to making
>> information available to anyone who wants it.
>>
>> If this is something that sounds interesting, I would love to chat
>> about this in person. I would also be willing to invest the time
>> needed to administrate the relay - I have several years of
>> experience doing this already, but haven't had access to the
>> resources the University has.
>>
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>> AJ Jordan
>
> Does anyone who's done something like this before have any tips or
> suggestions? Am I going about this in the best way?

I've CC'd Alison, who heads up the Library Freedom Project.
She has a lot of experience working with libraries and tor relays.

Tim