[tor-relays] my IP got blocked

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Wed Nov 15 09:32:22 UTC 2017

>Hi everyone,
>

>I`ve got an issue with my local IP address. I am running a relay about
>1
>year and since 3 or 4 weeks I can`t reach some websites like: ebay or
>ikea.
>
>All I get is this message:
>
>*
>*
>
>*Access Denied*
>You don`t have permission to access "Http://www.ebay.com/" on this
>server.
>
>Reference # ____looong number______
>

>I think I am on some blacklists. After I change my IP address all
>worked
>fine for only 2 days.
>
>Can I do something about this?

That would be Akamai's wonderfully opaque IP reputation system. Unless you're an Akamai customer, there's no way to determine why your IP is blocked. I believe certain types of vulnerability scans / probes set it off, but I've never been able to figure it out for certain.

In theory, it should drop off the blocklist if the bad behavior stops, but this takes weeks to happen.

Concrete suggestions:

If you're running an exit node, give it it's own IP.

If you're not running an exit, check the devices on your network. One of them may have malware. I don't believe this block is a tor-specific block, it seems like actual malicious traffic needs to happen before it triggers.

--Sean