[tor-relays] PSA: exclude /var/lib/tor/diff-cache/ from your backups

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 10:52:14 UTC 2017

> On 14 Nov 2017, at 20:37, Iain R. Learmonth <irl at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 14/11/17 05:03, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> Dear Tor project: this is very bad style to keep that in /var/lib, content
>> with properties like this must go into /var/cache/ [1], where it would be
>> automatically excluded from backups by default policies in most backup systems.
>
> It does seem that all paths used by tor are relative to DataDirectory,
> which has usually been /var/lib/tor. Perhaps a new configuration option
> for CacheDirectory, and moving caches to that directory, would be
> useful. It would be up to packagers to actually use that option though,
> a default of using DataDirectory as CacheDirectory would not be entirely
> unreasonable for cases where tor is embedded in other software.
>
> This would seem worthy of a trac ticket if someone could write one up.

Done:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24272#ticket

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before: the existing consensus and
directory documents are 10MB+, and change every hour.

I guess disks are big nowadays…

Also, your relay will survive if you set DataDirectory to /var/cache.
But it will lose its keys every time /var/cache is cleared, which some
distributions do on restart. (This means it will take some time to
attract bandwidth and flags after a restart.)