[tor-relays] PSA: exclude /var/lib/tor/diff-cache/ from your backups

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Tue Nov 14 05:03:15 UTC 2017

Hello,

Turns out that dir is highly variable, and judging from the name, also
disposable.

In my case it was responsible for about 20 GB of churn over a month, i.e. it
took 25 GB to keep incremental backups of two Tor nodes with only 2 GB each in
root FS (and I was wondering what's going on with my backup location's free
space...)

Dear Tor project: this is very bad style to keep that in /var/lib, content
with properties like this must go into /var/cache/ [1], where it would be
automatically excluded from backups by default policies in most backup systems.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARCACHEAPPLICATIONCACHEDATA

--
With respect,
Roman