[tor-relays] Who is running the two biggest Exits in the network?

Paul pa011 at web.de
Sat May 27 11:30:18 UTC 2017

Am 27.05.2017 um 00:48 schrieb Duncan:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul:
>> Since about mid April there are just two similar Exits making up now
>> about 4.5% exit probability together.
>> Located in Panama, run in the okservers.net network, AS395978 ,they
>> don’t give up any further information about themselves.
>>
>> Personally I would feel better at least having a contact or even
>> better, knowing who is giving that much effort.
>> Probably a MyFamily configuration should be placed as well?
>>

> I'm just wanting to raise the point, that while lack of contact information may be concerning, in my opinion the contact information is definitely not something you should rely on to assess how untrustworthy a given relay is. A person or group with malicious intentions can fake this, easily.

I agree with that part.

But sometimes it helps to look and think things from an extreme point of view:
Let's assume the whole TOR would be anonymous in a way that you cant see contacts not even nicknames. Where in this scenario should TRUST derive from? Would you or anybody rely on that network, if you not at least know a certain number of people who give their dedication, work, money, for the project, people with total conviction doing the right thing. I guess you wouldn’t - at least I wouldn’t do so. So now you can go back, step by step and ask how many of those people, with how many servers under their control you need, until you come to the point where it's not enough any more.
As I personally prefer having a high number of known volunteers, I can tell that I dislike two or three servers - holding more than 4.5% Exit-prob. during peak time -run by (a) person(s) nobody knows - especially when there is a very high probability that they attack useful targets http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/762-Attacked-Over-Tor.html !