[tor-relays] reminder: tor 0.3.1.1-alpha is _not_ recommended (known bug)

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri May 26 12:59:00 UTC 2017

Since there were only 8 relays running 0.3.1.1-alpha I didn't bother to
state this here, but since the number is rising since yesterday I just
wanted to remind you that tor 0.3.1.1-alpha contains a bug that makes
this not a good version to use.

In the worst case (unlikely) you would publish a limited amount of
memory via your relay descriptor
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22368#comment:7

Relays currently using tor 0.3.1.1-alpha (excluding Roger's):

+------------------+------------------------------------------+
| nickname         | contact		                      |
+------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Quincy           | NULL                                     |
| ss666            | NULL                                     |
| sorryitsslow     | NULL                                     |
| artiX            | NULL                                     |
| ELECTRICSHEEP    | NULL                                     |
| dahool           | NULL                                     |
| BabylonNetwork01 | Babylon Network | noc <AT> babylon <DOT> |
| BabylonNetwork03 | Babylon Network | noc <AT> babylon <DOT> |
| BabylonNetwork00 | Babylon Network | noc <AT> babylon <DOT> |
| BabylonNetwork02 | Babylon Network | noc <AT> babylon <DOT> |
| Gentoo           | gentoo.intel at gmail.com                   |
| 0x000000000      | https://ban.ai                           |
| HeirloomReaper   | James Taylor <tor AT fornoreason dot net |
| ireadconf        | torrelay at fh-biergarten.de - 1QCHdyhPHLrK |
+------------------+------------------------------------------+

If you are eager to run alpha level tor versions to uncover and report
bugs early that is great but you might want to wait for tor
0.3.1.2-alpha or run master builds after
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/commit/?id=ab9976b7245f05a97e0285265c4cfcb225bd48e2
https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/tor-nightly-master-stretch

stay safe,
nusenu