[tor-relays] Memory Problems with tor releay - restart tor automatically after failure

Dirk tor-relay.dirk at o.banes.ch
Fri May 26 06:51:38 UTC 2017

Hi Nusenu and Roman,

thanks for you recommendations. I already implemented as small ~ 10
lines script which does it job
and logs what's going on.

Mit Mai 24 21:45:01 CEST 2017 Process tor2 is not running -> starting
Don Mai 25 08:50:02 CEST 2017 Process tor2 is not running -> starting
Don Mai 25 10:10:22 CEST 2017 Process tor1 is not running -> starting
Don Mai 25 11:25:02 CEST 2017 Process tor2 is not running -> starting
Don Mai 25 15:40:02 CEST 2017 Process tor2 is not running -> starting

As you can see we had this OOM on one server yesterday 4 times. On the
other everything went fine.

Upgrading 16.04 is on the roadmap - but we agreed in the team it would
be a last resort.
We want to have equal configuration on all nodes (and other servers we
operate).

Since we hopefully soon may have an additional provider we would start
with the new machine for the clean setup on
the chosen OS and then would follow with the existing ones.

Long text short. If it helps with the cause of the current problem I
would start changing OS today.
If not we try to get a common platform for all our tor and other servers.

Even the scripts works and now the exits return to their throughput it
feels like a dirty solution to do this auto restart.

best regards

Dirk

p.s. Nusenu - it seem onionoo responds better now - was there a solution
to the problem