[tor-relays] Upgrading a relay and changing IP address

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 01:41:06 UTC 2017

> On 24 May 2017, at 17:27, Jan Welker <jan at wth.in> wrote:
>
>> Again, sorry about the lack of notification. It's a big job, and
>> I was short on time this time around.
>>
>> I would love someone to volunteer to notify all the fallback directory
>> operators: the list only changes once every 6-12 months.
>
> What would that involve if someone decides to volunteer?
>
>    - Generating a list with the email address per relay

You can get the fingerprints from:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/fallback_dirs.inc
And then write a quick script to get the contact details.

Or use the instructions at:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UpdatingFallbackDirectoryMirrors#d.InformingRelayOperators
To modify the script at:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/scripts/maint/updateFallbackDirs.py

(No one has automated that yet, but we are close: we just need to
do something like the check_existing mode that outputs contacts.)

>    - Sending an email to the Operator

Most operators change their email address to avoid spam.
You will need to work out what each address is.

It is ok to send one email, and BCC all the operators.
Put me in To: or CC: please.
And then send a copy to tor-relays saying that's what you
sent to all the operators.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UpdatingFallbackDirectoryMirrors#GroupEmails

>    - Updating the list with the operators and their answer

If you open a ticket with a list of opt-outs, I will fix this up
when we next rebuild the list.

>    - (Dealing with all the unreachable addresses)

That's ok, as long as the relay has the same details, I don't worry
about emails that bounce.

> And the list contains between 150 and 200 fallback dirs.

Yes.

When we go looking for new fallback operators, we do a similar thing
for all relays that are *not* on the list, and have good bandwidth and
uptime.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n