[tor-relays] Problem starting 0.3.0.7 on Ubuntu?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue May 23 07:32:49 UTC 2017

Earlier in this thread, Alexander said:
| The permissions on /var/lib/tor/SERVICE_NAME/ are "rwx--S---" and it's
| owned by debian-tor, which worked for 0.2.9.10."

I asked weasel about this question, and he pointed me to
which looks exactly like Alexander's issue.

It doesn't affect Debian by default, because Debian doesn't have
apparmor enabled by default.

So, the short term workaround for Alexander would be to add the line that
intrigeri suggests to the apparmor profile. The better fix imo will be
for Tor to stop doing behavior that the apparmor profile wants to prevent,
such as trying to read directories before it has switched uids. I'll
open a ticket about that once I understand it more.

--Roger