[tor-relays] Tor version on Debian Wheezy (oldstable)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed May 17 22:36:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 08:45:26PM +0500, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> > https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en
> >
> > You'd probably tell it you use old stable and want Tor version stable.
> > After a couple of apt commands, I predict you will end up with Tor 0.3.0.7
>
> No he will not, as nobody cares to update the Tor stable repository for
> 0.3.0.7, all you get on stable is 0.2.9.10.

My guess is that our fine debian maintainer is leaving it at 0.2.9.10
while Stretch finishes its freeze and goes stable:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch

Tor 0.2.9.x is our most recent long-term-stable release:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases#Listofreleases

So it is wiser to have 0.2.9 in the next Debian stable, rather than
using 0.3.0 and then having Tor want to abandon 0.3.0 well before
Stretch's expected lifetime.

More context: with the quicker release period for the Tor program, we
realized we can't actually support every single stable release version
for years, or we'll go mad. So we adopted the "long term stable" idea
that's been going around lately, and we coordinated with Debian to make
sure their stable and our LTS lined up:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/updates-old-tor-stable-release-series-02428-02513-02611-0277-02813

I don't think we did any coordination with Ubuntu though, since there
is nobody there to coordinate with. :(

--Roger