[tor-relays] Fallback Directory Update: May 2017

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 05:06:04 UTC 2017

Dear Relay Operators,

We have rebuilt the list of fallback directory mirrors in Tor[0] for
the upcoming 0.3.1 release. The new list will also be backported to Tor
0.2.8 and later.

If you're asking:

Q: What's a fallback directory mirror?

See [1].

Q: Is my relay on the list?

Search [2] for your relay fingerprint or IP address and port.
(I used to BCC this email to all operators on the list, but that's a lot
of work!)

Q: What do I need to do if my relay is on the list?

Keep the same IP address, keys, and ports.
Email me or this list if the relay's details change.

Q: Can my relay be on the list next time?

We need fast relays that will be on the same IP address and port for 2
years. Email me to get on the potential relay list[3], or to update
the details of your relay.

Every release or two we run a script to choose about 150-200 relays for
the list.

Q: Why didn't my relay get on the list this time?

We check a relay's uptime, flags, and speed[4]. Sometimes, a relay might
be down when we check. That's ok, we will check it again next time.

It's good to have some new relays on the list every release. That helps
tor clients, because blocking the whole list is harder.

Tim

[0]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/commit/src/or/fallback_dirs.inc?id=5b45d73293e4f1cb4b1b59e673f3c12c782c5bff
[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors
[2]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/fallback_dirs.inc