[tor-relays] Bandwidth settings

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri May 12 23:31:59 UTC 2017

> On 13 May 2017, at 01:57, Torix <torix at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> set it up as a middle node (exit policy to reject *:*) at home

You may find some websites block your home IP address, even though
you are not running an Exit. (Turns out some blacklist operators
don't know (or don't care) how tor works.)

It might be worth using a separate external IP address, if you can
get one.

> On 13 May 2017, at 03:27, tor <tor at anondroid.com> wrote:
>
> > I use Verizon Fios.  When I did a speed test from Verizon, I got 60 Mbps up
> > and 70 Mpbs down. I currently have not set any accounting max daily limit. It
> > seems to me that I could add 10 times the bandwidth and still be at 15/23
> > Mbps out of 60-70 Mpbs, or only a quarter of my total bandwidth.
>
> > 1. would we notice at home, where we don't stream video; just run browsers
> > and remote desktop about 8 miles away to work.
>

> It's hard to say. It may depend on the capabilities of your router. A well-utilized guard node will have thousands of open connections. It can overwhelm some consumer-level routers. One way to find out...

You may also find that tor exceeds Verizon's peering capacity per user
to Europe, or some other network link capacity.

The tor network will also measure your relay, and if it is slower than
other relays, it will tell clients to allocate fewer connections to it.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org