[tor-relays] Bandwidth settings

Torix torix at protonmail.com
Fri May 12 15:57:27 UTC 2017

This is a newbie question, but I'm not sure where else to ask it.

I had an older desktop box from a decade ago, so I put Debian tor on it as per the directions and set it up as a middle node (exit policy to reject *:*) at home. I added arm and vnstat to be able to look at it. I've never done anything with tor before, so I know nothing but what I've read in the past 2 weeks.

My question is about bandwidth. I made a mistake at first with Kbytes and kbits, but currently have it set at 200KBytes steady, 300KBytes burst. This translates in the default arm display to 1.5Mb/s and 2.3Mb/s. I use Verizon Fios. When I did a speed test from Verizon, I got 60 Mbps up and 70 Mpbs down. I currently have not set any accounting max daily limit. It seems to me that I could add 10 times the bandwidth and still be at 15/23 Mbps out of 60-70 Mpbs, or only a quarter of my total bandwidth.

Were I to do this,
1. would we notice at home, where we don't stream video; just run browsers and remote desktop about 8 miles away to work.
2. or would Verizon notice first the bandwidth or the amount of data going through our connection? Which would be the first limit? Bandwidth or data?

In terms of data, I've already run 11.5 GB through tor yesterday, out of about a 17GB theoretical maximum at these bandwidth settings. Would 170GB/day be outrageous to Verizon if I cranked the bandwidth up? Would we notice it?

Hoping someone might be able to add to my vast experience of 3 days up.