[tor-relays] What kind of hardware do I need for my relay

Olaf Grimm dl1hqd at gmx.de
Mon Mar 20 21:27:59 UTC 2017

More is better. Here my values at home:

Intel N3050 4x 1.6 GHz in an internal firewall with external Tor
application. Internet connection download 50 MBit/s, Upload 10 MBit/s.

Internal LAN performance: 90 MBit/s

My own downloads are near 50 MBit/s (less time, most time 20...30MBit/s);

Uploads near 8 MBit/s in peaks; Never theoretical limit reached.

My personal usage drives the internet line to full power, but Tor as my
MIDDLE RELAY doesn't use the full internet line power. It is dependend
from the cabability of the guard/exit partners. Cpu load is less then
20%. The traffic is symmetrical IN/OUT.

My other external middel nodes doesn't use the full internet line power
too. The cpu load is less then 10%. The hardware ist a single VPS cpu
3GHz with 512 GB RAM. This was the minimum of provider offer.

Take a look on

https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/node49

node49 is my home middle node. node49a/b are external VPS with 100MBit
connections. The usage is about 5-10 MBit/s. Cpu load about 10% in peak.

Olaf