[tor-relays] Over 55k eth RX errors

patacca patacca at autistici.org
Sun Mar 19 14:57:12 UTC 2017

On 19/03/2017 15:38, fatal wrote:
> assuming that you run a linux realy, have a look at the interface with
> ethtool

Damn it, I knew I would have forgotten something.
Yes, the machine is running debian 8.7

root at jah ~ # uname -a
Linux jah 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2 (2017-03-07)
i686 GNU/Linux

> sudo ethtool eth0
>
> and look if it is in full of half duplex mode. If it is in halfduplex
> mode that will probably be the cause of the errors. you could try
> setting it to full duplex mode with e. g. 100 mbit/s with the following
> command:
>
> sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
>
> this might crash your network connection, so be prepared for a remote
> reboot of the machine (or use IPMI if available).

Thanks for the advice, it seems to be running in full duplex with
auto-negotiation on. I do not know what autonegotiation means, should I
try disabling it?

Here's the result of ethtool eth0 anyway:

root at jah ~ # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ TP ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: No
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: No
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes