[tor-relays] Over 55k eth RX errors

Rabbi Rob Thomas robt at cymru.com
Sun Mar 19 14:46:58 UTC 2017

Dear patacca,

First, thank you for running a relay!

Second, great advice from fatal here:

> assuming that you run a linux realy, have a look at the interface
> with ethtool
>
> sudo ethtool eth0
>
> and look if it is in full of half duplex mode. If it is in
> halfduplex mode that will probably be the cause of the errors. you
> could try setting it to full duplex mode with e. g. 100 mbit/s with
> the following command:
>
> sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
>
> this might crash your network connection, so be prepared for a
> remote reboot of the machine (or use IPMI if available).

I will add:  You are seeing some frame errors, which could point to a
bad cable or switch port.  I would contact the provider and ask them
two things:

1. What is the duplex setting on the switch port?  Full?  Auto?  Half?
 If they are willing to hard-set it to full, which you then mimic on
your end, all the better.

2. Are they seeing errors on input or output on the switch port?  If
so, ask them to replace the cable.  If that doesn't do it, ask them to
move you to a new switch port.

Good luck!

Be well,
Rabbi Rob.
- --
Rabbi Rob Thomas                                           Team Cymru
   "It is easy to believe in freedom of speech for those with whom we
    agree." - Leo McKern