[tor-relays] Relay installation instructions

Andrew Deason adeason at dson.org
Sun Mar 19 01:26:35 UTC 2017

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 21:47:10 +0700
Jeff Duncan <wansabai.com at gmail.com> wrote:

> I went to install a new relay today and found the guide on torproject.org
> had changed. I used to follow this page:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian.html.en and where it says
> : If you're on Ubuntu or if you want to track newer Tor packages, follow
> the Tor on Ubuntu or Debian  instructions to use our repository. The link
> works but this link used to have instructions for installing from the tor
> project repositories and installing the gpg key. I do not see those
> instructions now. The debian instructions in section 1 installs tor
> 0.2.5.12-4

This is a bug on that page. The debian instructions are implemented
using a javascript thing that "fills in the blanks" for you, with a
<noscript> fallback showing the generic instructions.

However, the content-security-policy HTTP header says that inline
javascript is prohibited ('unsafe-inline'). So when javascript is
enabled, the <noscript> sections are ignored, but the inline javascript
isn't run because CSP prohibits it, so nothing is displayed.

To whoever can fix this, I would suggest maybe avoiding <noscript>, and
instead have the javascript init() function "display:none" the generic
instructions at the same time that it turns on the javascript
instructions. That would avoid the page just displaying _nothing_ when
an error occurs, since that is very confusing.

Ideally I'd submit a bug for this, but Trac doesn't seem to let me. (Can
regular people create tickets?) If I'm missing something about that, I'd
happily submit a bug, or even try to fix this myself if I can be pointed
at where the website code is (if it's open for contributions).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason at dson.org