[tor-relays] Aggressive abuse report

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Tue Mar 14 18:30:05 UTC 2017

On 14.03.2017 15:36, Juuso Lapinlampi wrote:
> My concern with this is the liability on operator. In Finland (and
> Europe?)

Yes, this is "harmonized" and modelled after the US DMCA law, in Europe
in the "e-Commerce directive" respectively the federal implementations.
See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines
(and add links to your local implementation!)

> I believe FICORA has advised blocking ports as necessary for security
> reasons (e.g. port 25) is fine, but when it's being extended to
> IP-address and/or port combinations, that's where it starts becoming
> gray (in regards to #2).

I would argue it's not. Since you advertise that your network cannot be
used for these ports and/or IPs, you do not influence the "selection of
the recipient". Otherwise, any network that only routes to particular
destinations would lose limited liability, which would be pretty much
against how the Internet works.

> So far, replying to every abuse complaint and giving advice how to block
> Tor using DNSBL or similar has worked for me. I can see it's probably
> not what original poster's ISP would like to hear to have the issue
> resolved, but it's less ambiguous on law and limited liability. Thus, I
> suggested looking into other more friendly ISPs.

I agree, helping the "other side" to understand Tor and how to NOT BLOCK
using DNSBLs but rather use DNSBLs as a component to identify
potentially harmful connections, and treat those differently (eg.
require user registration) is a lot better. Having Wordpress plugins and
similar things for the most popular CMS would help a lot, if those
plugins guide you through a process where you don't end up simply
blocking all Tor users right away.

In many cases, ISPs are OK if you explain your options, they just want
to see you "dealt with it" within a reasonable timespan (~24 hours) and
are in touch with the sender of the complaint.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/