[tor-relays] Aggressive abuse report

Juuso Lapinlampi wub at partyvan.eu
Tue Mar 14 14:36:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 02:17:14PM +0100, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> about it" might not be the best argument here either: I suggest you
> block the destination IP address(es) for some weeks via ExitPolicy, let

My concern with this is the liability on operator. In Finland (and
Europe?), the limited liability provisions have three criteria for
service/network providers (Tietoyhteiskuntakaari 7.11.2014/917, 182 ยง
Vastuuvapaus tiedonsiirto- ja verkkoyhteyspalveluissa):

1. You're not the one initiating the network transfer;
2. You're not selecting the recipient; and
3. You don't select or modify the data to be transferred.

I believe FICORA has advised blocking ports as necessary for security
reasons (e.g. port 25) is fine, but when it's being extended to
IP-address and/or port combinations, that's where it starts becoming
gray (in regards to #2).

So far, replying to every abuse complaint and giving advice how to block
Tor using DNSBL or similar has worked for me. I can see it's probably
not what original poster's ISP would like to hear to have the issue
resolved, but it's less ambiguous on law and limited liability. Thus, I
suggested looking into other more friendly ISPs.