[tor-relays] The 9001-9051-v0.2.8.9 Gang: 57 relays and counting...

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sat Mar 4 00:31:00 UTC 2017

David Goulet:
>> - removal reason
> Proximity of fingerprint indicates a clear attempt at insertion in the
> hashring for an (some) onion address.

Are you also trying to find the matching onion address(es) that the
given relay IDs would become HSDirs due to their position on the ring?

Out of curiosity (which onions were they after?)
I generated the descriptor-ids for ~180 onions for the coming 90 days
and searched the prefixes (3 and 4 chars) of the removed relays
in the output and got some hits and although there is a minor
concentration about one topic on these onions I'm not sure it actually
means these relays tried to become HSDirs for these onions (could be
pure coincidence and the concentration around a topic might be caused by
a biased onion input list).

> https://gitweb.torproject.org/doctor.git/tree/data/tracked_relays.cfg
>
> After that 6 months, you can find commit like this that removes a bunch of
> them:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/doctor.git/commit/data?id=f89e3dca452a0d776eed5d32136f8a474f892cac

interesting, thanks.