[tor-relays] Tor CPU usage

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:11:08 UTC 2017

> On 30 Jun 2017, at 04:52, Arisbe <arisbe at cni.net> wrote:
>
> I have a small Tor exit relay (VPS) running at +90% CPU capacity.

What version of Tor?
Has this only happened recently?
Did you upgrade your Tor version?
Are you running a caching DNS server?

>  Memory usage is negligible.  I am unable to launch ARM as the single CPU cannot process both Tor and arm.  Traffic is mostly high for a small node.
>
> I have CPUsNum set at 2 in my torrc from its original setup.

Have you tried removing this from your torrc?

> However, pidstat 5 -p <pid> shows that only 1 CPU is employed.  lscpu shows that the VPS is allotted 2 cpus.

2 cores, or hyperthreading on the same core?
Do you have any CPU masking options set?

Tor uses threads, rather than using multiple processes.

> CPU speed is around 2.44 M.
>
> I'm hoping someone has some experience with this issue and can give me advice.

This is what I'd expect for a relay.
Cryptography is expensive.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com