[tor-relays] GeoIP file

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 01:49:58 UTC 2017

> On 9 May 2017, at 13:35, Ian Zimmerman <itz at primate.net> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-08 20:07, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>
>> What are you doing, that needs changes to the geoip file of a running
>> Tor daemon?
>
> There is fresh geoip data posted on maxmind.com monthly.  Doesn't it
> make sense to have the daemon use it?

No, we process the file, and update it when we do a release.
And at that point, the tor daemon is restarted anyway.

GeoIP is not that accurate anyway, particularly for servers.
So there's no need to have it updated every month rather than every
release.

Also, if tor retrieved the file from maxmind.com directly, that could
cause all sorts of load, privacy, and security issues.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org