[tor-relays] Consensus Weight calculation

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 23:36:51 UTC 2017

> On 27 Jun 2017, at 23:52, Vort <vvort at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>> I made a wiki page to tell people how to do that:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/MyRelayIsSlow
>
>> 1. Check RAM, CPU, and socket/file descriptor usage on your relay
>
> Private bytes amount for tor.exe process is 116 MiB,

This could be part of your issue.
The code for tor relays on Windows is not maintained very well.

> Tor process have 573 handles open and about 380 established TCP
>  connections. But this is unusual activity, related to Faravahar
>  downtime and, respectively, obtaining of Fast and HSDir flags.
> Usually, it have only 20-30 connections established.

What is the connection / handle limit on the tor process and the user
you are using for the tor process?

For a non-exit relay, it needs to be around 10,000.
For an large exit relay, it needs to be 50,000 or so.

>> 3. Check each of the votes for your relay on consensus-health
>>  (large page), and check the median:
>
> Consensus was published 2017-06-27 12:00:00.
> longclaw: bw=34
> gabelmoo: bw=41
> moria1  : bw=23
>
> *median*: bw=34

This is the limit on your relay.

Now check the latency and bandwidth to these directory authorities.
But only do to once, they have a lot of load already.

Also, use gabelmoobwauth, rather than gabelmoo.
And check Faravahar.

>> 4. Check your relay's observed bandwidth and bandwidth rate (limit).
>
> Bandwidth rate    : 1 MiB/s
> Bandwidth burst   : 3 MiB/s
> Observed bandwidth: 250.77 KiB/s

Ok, the next limit will be the observed bandwidth.

>> It might not be me that helps you.
>> So please talk to the list when you write back.
>
> But no one else shown the interest on answering to this topic.

If you just write to me, that won't change.
You need to be patient.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n