[tor-relays] Exit / Bad Gateway

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jun 27 18:40:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 03:52:31PM +0200, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
> Well Faravahar is finally back but im still wondering why my System (located
> in France) is measured by exactly 1 System a few thousand miles away.

Actually, it's measured by three bwauths. You can look it up on
https://www.freehaven.net/~arma/moria1-v3-status-votes
(Careful, it is a very large file.)

In ParEpistemenTaksis's case, it has bwauth measurements from moria1,
longclaw, and Faravahar.

It looks like teor's thought that at least one bwauth is sufficient to
get moved off of consensus weight 20 wasn't right. You need three:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/dirvote.c?id=tor-0.3.0.8#n1990

Which on further thought makes sense -- if only rogue dir auth could
by itself declare that all its friends in the unmeasured relays set
are actually consensus weight 1e9, that wouldn't be cool.

So then your question would be "ok, there are four bwauths, how come
gabelmoo hasn't measured me?"
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#bwauthstatus
And that is a fine question, but I fear the answer is the same as all
the other "why is the torflow stuff broken" questions. Tom Ritter has
been looking lately at making it better, at least.

(Thanks for running an exit relay! :)

--Roger