[tor-relays] Exit node restarts itself.

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:23:21 UTC 2017

> On 22 Jun 2017, at 23:08, Alan <tor-relay at clutterbuck.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> These logs are from a long time after the relay restarted.
>> We need to see the logs at the time the relay stops.
>>
>> Please look at /var/log/tor/log and send us the 20 lines before
>> the last message that starts like this:
>>
>> Tor 0.2.9.10 (git-1f6c8eda0073f464) running on Linux with
>> Libevent
>>
>> It might also help to upgrade to 0.2.9.11, there are a few crash
>> fixes in it.
>>

> The warn message is repeated several times before the crash.
>
> Jun 22 05:13:14.000 [warn] Before Tor can create a control socket in
> "/var/run/tor/control", the directory "/var/run/tor" needs to exist, and
> to be accessible only by the user account that is running Tor.  (On some
> Unix systems, anybody who can list a socket can connect to it, so Tor is
> being careful.)
> Jun 22 05:13:41.000 [notice] Interrupt: we have stopped accepting new
> connections, and will shut down in 30 seconds. Interrupt again to exit
> now.
> Jun 22 05:14:11.000 [notice] Clean shutdown finished. Exiting.
> Jun 22 05:15:17.000 [notice] Tor 0.2.9.10 (git-1f6c8eda0073f464) opening
> log file.

What are the permissions on /var/run/tor?

You need to find out which process is sending the interrupt, and why.
It could be systemd, because tor hasn't finished launching in a
reasonable time.

If it is, you need to find out why tor isn't launching properly.
Please send all of the log messages from the time tor starts to the
time it stops (it takes a minute or two to stop, right?)

You might have run into a bug like this one with CapabilityBoundingSet:
But it's hard to tell without log messages.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org