[tor-relays] Consensus Weight calculation

Vort vvort at yandex.ru
Wed Jun 21 12:47:54 UTC 2017

>> Are there any news regarding that problem?

> It's a complicated problem.
> We need to work out why it is happening before we can fix it.

I am not sure if I really can help with BwAuth's algorithms.

But that's what I would do in such situation:

First, most important thing, is a clear goal.
As BwAuth's task is to make a measurements, then theirs result must
  be clearly defined.
So, the question is - how an ideal "w" ([Consensus] Weight) looks like?

Suppose we have some perfectly measured parameters for relay:
  perfect_measured_bandwidth (KiB/sec) and perfect_measured_latency (sec).
Their exact definition can be omitted now for simplicity.

Then ideal_w should be equal to:
ideal_w = perfect_measured_bandwidth
ideal_w = k * perfect_measured_bandwidth
ideal_w = k * perfect_measured_bandwidth / perfect_measured_latency
  or, maybe, something else?

Once this question is clear, then it is possible to see how existent
  implementation is far from this ideal.

And here is part two: why it is different?
It is some noise that can't be eliminated?
Or algorithm for some reason converges to incorrect values?

BwAuths have some debug information.
This can help to investigate problem.

There are also the possibility of doing manual checks.
Which then can be compared to debug logs of BwAuth.

Maybe my approach is not so good and you will choose another.

But, anyway, thanks for working on this problem.

-- Vort