[tor-relays] Consensus Weight calculation

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 20:37:41 UTC 2017

> On 14 Jun 2017, at 02:01, Vort <vvort at yandex.ru> wrote:

>> But most relays get low weights because:
>> * they can not get enough CPU or RAM,
>> * they can not keep enough connections open,
>
> This is not a case for relays with 1 KiB/s load.
>
>> * they go up and down a lot,
>
> My examples was for stable relays.
>
>> * they change IP address a lot, or
>
> ExoneraTor is lagging, but 3 of 4 example relays was using
>  the same addresses month ago.

Please help us find out which of these things impact one of your
relays.

>> * they do not get good bandwidth over time,
>> * they do not get good bandwidth to the rest of the tor network,
>> * they have high latency to the rest of the tor network,
>
> This can be measured.

Yes, the Tor network measures it from 4 different locations every few
days. What makes your measurement is more accurate?

Where are you measuring from?
Is it close to the relay?
How long did it take to do the download?
Did you measure from different parts of the world?

>> But this isn't enough information to work out what the problem is.
>> Maybe there is a problem with the relay, not the measurements.
>> We just can't tell.
>
> What additional information can help?

1. Choose a relay you control to focus on.
2. Send information about the relay's CPU and RAM and configured
   connection limit.
3. Measure the actual connection limit, bandwidth and latency from
   the rest of the Tor network. (Or from at least 2 locations in the
   US and Western Europe.)

Or:

Change they relay's keys, wait a few weeks, and let us know if
the bandwidth measurement is better or worse.

If it is better, then the relay was put in a low bucket, and was stuck
in that bucket. This can happen at random, or if the relay was slow in
the past.

>> Maybe the relay has low CPU, international bandwidth, or connection
>> limits. We just don't know.
>
> If it can retranslate a lot of traffic, then it have no such problems.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about this.

>> These measurements are updated over time.
>> Please check again after a few weeks.
>
> They already shows that relay is more capable than it is rated.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about this.

>> I think this spike means:
>
>> "You think your provider is giving you 100 Mbps, but they are
>> actually giving you much less. Talk to them about it."
> Here is another histogram.
> https://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploads/images/2017/06/749e7e3be806c22f3dd5c0e9586304ab.png
> (x, y and colors are the same)
> Just filtered relays so theirs Advertised Bandwidth is in range 1100000..1350000.
> I wouldn't say this values are "proportional" enough.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about this.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org