[tor-relays] sharing tor relay at night or working hours ? make sense ?

Paul M Furley paul at paulfurley.com
Sun Jun 11 14:55:11 UTC 2017

Hi Zalezny,

On 11/06/17 15:29, Zalezny Niezalezny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 100mbit Up/Down connection at home. Most of the day, my
> connection is not use. Mostly between 22:00-17:00.
>
> I would like to share my Internet connection for Tor. If I will setup
> some crontabs to start/stop my tor relay between that hours, will it
> work ?  Does it make sense ? Will TOR network know that my relay is
> working only between 22:00 and 17:00 and will push some more traffic to me ?
>
> How to properly configure such a relay which is working only for a few
> hours per day ?

Rather than starting & killing Tor with crontabs, I think you can use
AccountingStart and AccountingMax config settings to achieve this.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual-dev.html.en

That way you can get Tor to *start* at the right time (with
AccountingStart) - the only issue I can see is getting it to stop at the
right time.

AccountingMax will stop Tor when the number of *bytes* has been reached,
so if your line was being used flat out, this would be easy to calculate
based on the your line's data rate.

You might need to have a play with a low AccountingMax setting and see
what happens. When you first launch a relay it won't get much traffic
but it will gradually increase over the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Paul