[tor-relays] [SOLVED] published descriptor missing from consensus

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Fri Jun 9 18:40:17 UTC 2017

Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 01:05:43AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
> > > I think you will find this is not an uncommon configuration among
> > > high-bandwidth relays.
> >
> >      I will check further into the procedure for which Roger posted a URL
> > to see whether it will indeed give me a list of such addresses that I can
> > use.  If so, I will certainly begin running it, scraping the addresses,
> > and merging them with the addresses already going into table creation.
>
> It will not do what you want. It is only for exit addresses.

     Yes, I saw that after I took a look.  However, that shouldn't really
be a problem because the Exit addresses are the ones that could have gotten
into the block list simply by doing their job.  A non-Exit on the block list
got their by its operator's own bad behavior.  If someone writes to me and
promises never to do it again, I'll remove his address from the block list,
but on the condition the promise is kept.  Likewise if someone writes to me
and says his relay used to run as an Exit, but now just runs as entry/middle,
I'll also remove his address, again conditionally, because his address may
have gotten into the block list when it was an Exit doing its job.  Again,
the published address would still get a pass anytime it appears in a
consensus.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *