[tor-relays] published descriptor missing from consensus

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Sun Jun 4 05:30:20 UTC 2017

     This time I'm stumped.  I confess I have not followed this list for
a long time until the last few days, so it's possible that I've run afoul
of something already discussed.
     Late Wednesday afternoon, I restarted my relay (MYCROFTsOtherChild),
which changed it from 0.3.0.6 to 0.3.0.7.  That was the only change I made.
It went through a normal startup and published its descriptor.  After a few
hours, tor noticed that its descriptor was still not in the latest consensus,
so it republished it.  After several more hours had passed with each
consensus lacking my relay's descriptor, I made a small change to an
ExitPolicy line in torrc.  In the meantime, I had read some recent postings
to this list and had noted some remarks regarding mismatched RSA and ED25519
keys, so I renamed /var/db/tor/keys and restarted tor again, whereupon it
generated new keys and appeared to proceed normally.
     Once again a new descriptor was published and has since been republished
and updated with no apparent problem beyond some republications being told by
one or more authorities that the descriptor was rejected as "not new".
Nevertheless, my relay's descriptor still has not appeared in a consensus
since the last time it ran 0.3.0.6.  If an authority operator would be so kind
as to check the authority's logs for any errors pertaining to my relay with
either its old keys or its new keys and let me know what they say, I would be
grateful.
     Thanks for any help or suggestions of things to try.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *