[tor-relays] Best configuration for high speed exit relay with limited bandwith (1Tb)

King Queen kingqueenits at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:53:12 UTC 2017

hi,

I have a relatively new VPS on CockBox running a Tor exit node. It's
the $10/month one https://box.cock.li/ which means it has very fast
network (Gigabit I think) but I can only use 1TB per month.

I've done some reading round of previous posts on here over the year,
and as a result I have variously tried / toyed with RelayBandwidthRate
(set at 150KBps so it averages ~800gb/month) and with AccountingMax
(15GB with AccountingStart day 00:00)

But I don't know what's best for the network. Is it best to have a
very fast exit relay for a small portion of the day (so AccountingMax
set but no RelayBandwidthRate), a not-so-fast exit relay for more of
the day (so AccountingMax set at 15Gb and RelayBandwidthRate at
250KBps) or a slower-still exit relay for all the day
(RelayBandwidthRate 150KBps and no AccountingMax?) What is of the most
benefit to the Tor network?

Also: I read somewhere that Tor should un-hibernate at a random point
each day and not directly at 00:00 as set in AccountingStart, but that
doesn't appear to be what happens. It just sets off at midnight. To
combat any deleterious effect that lots of people doing this might
have on the Tor network, if I do use AccountingMax, should I set
AccountingStart to a random time in the day?

Thanks - your guidance would be very much appreciated.

Doug