[tor-relays] Unable to get Tor exit relay to run - Ubuntu 16.04

King Queen kingqueenits at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 19:53:39 UTC 2017

I'd really appreciate some clueful suggestions or help please - thank
you. I'm not new to Tor; I have an existing relay I run,
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/ECC3599DDCFE44C3F28AE0C9DC5DE92847D3602B
, but I am unable to get a new Tor relay up and running on an
entirely different VPS.

I am running on Ubuntu 16.04 Server on a VPS on https://box.cock.li/ .
On first attempt I couldn't get a Tor relay running, so I started
again from scratch, getting the VPS administrator to reprovision the
VPS from scratch, to no avail.

I SSHed in as root, created a user and made it a sudoer, added public
key etc. and disabled root admin. Then I SSHed in as the user,
installed ntp and ufw, added ports 80 and 443 to ufw, added the Tor
respository and key as per
https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu. I installed
tor, deb.torproject.org-keyring and arm, and edited torrc such that it reads:

SOCKSPort 0
RunAsDaemon 1
ORPort 443
Nickname kingqueencock
ContactInfo ROT13 <xvatdhrra at ybirf.qvpxvauvfna.hf>
DirPort 80 # what port to advertise for directory connections
DirPortFrontPage /etc/tor/tor-exit-notice.html
MyFamily ECC3599DDCFE44C3F28AE0C9DC5DE92847D3602B

then the "alternative Reduced-Reduced ExitPolicy" from
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

then sudo service tor restart.

For all I can gather, Tor isn't running. There are no files in
/var/tor/log. ps aux | grep tor returns nothing other than the grep
command. arm shows the "Welcome to the Tor network!" initial relay
configuration screen, as does sudo -u debian-tor arm.

sudo service tor status
● tor.service - Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Thu 2017-07-27 19:36:41 UTC; 3s ago
  Process: 9781 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 9781 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 0 (limit: 512)
   CGroup: /system.slice/tor.service

Jul 27 19:36:41 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)...
Jul 27 19:36:41 localhost systemd[1]: Started Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master).

root at localhost:/var/log/tor# ls -al
total 8
drwxr-s--- 2 debian-tor adm  4096 Jul 27 19:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root       root 4096 Jul 27 19:29 ..

The odd thing is if I reboot my VPS by sudo shutdown -r now and do ps
aux | grep tor there is tor running as a root user.

root       435  0.0  0.5  44760  5716 ?        Ss   19:40   0:00 /usr/bin/tor --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc -f /etc/tor/torrc --RunAsDaemon 0 --verify-config

I don't know where that has come from, or if it's a problem. I have
had a poke around in init.d and systemd but I am not an expert in
those. I am beginning to wonder or suspect the Ubuntu installation
image on the VPS may not be entirely clean... If I try to run arm as
root, the "new relay" configuration wizard appears and when I quit the
tor process isn't running.

I'm stuck. Any help very gratefully received.

Cheers

Doug