[tor-relays] Tor relay dying in FreeBSD

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 07:31:58 UTC 2017

> On 14 Jul 2017, at 02:47, Farid Joubbi <joubbi at kth.se> wrote:
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
>
> The 128M for daemon processes was too low.
> I added this in /etc/login.conf:
> _tor:\
>        :memorylocked=unlimited:\
>        :tc=default:
>
> The warnings are gone and the process is not dying anymore.
> Maybe I should tinker and find a value better than unlimited…

On a large (300 Mbps) exit on Linux, 1-1.5GB RAM is reasonable.
On a non-exit or smaller exit relay, you may be able to get away with
500-750 MB.

But it's best to allow more so your relay doesn't die the moment it
gets a load spike.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n