[tor-relays] Exit flag and port 6667 vs 6697

Igor Mitrofanov igor.n.mitrofanov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 00:36:18 UTC 2017

> Port numbers and TLS ore orthogonal: port 443 can be used for cleartext,
> and port 80 for encrypted traffic. In the case of IRC, it's quite common
> for 6667 to be used with TLS.

When a relay operator uses exit policies, I believe they express an
intent to block certain types of applications, and not just ports
those applications typically run on. They mean to block HTTP when they
block port 80, and they mean to allow HTTPS when they allow port 443.
Exit relay who use anything but "accept *:*" engage in
application-level traffic censorship to balance their risk with their
contribution (if this is not a form of censorship, what are exit
policies really for?).

Both port-based exit policies, designed when ports meant much more
than they do today, and the definition of the exit flag, seem
obsolete. Ports no longer allow Tor users or relay operators to manage
their risks well, and the exit flag policy does not allow the Tor
community to protect the network against P2P abuse and optimize it in
any meaningful way.

For example, as a Tor user, how can I express my desire to only use
exit nodes that refuse to see any plaintext traffic - where's that
checkbox in the Tor browser? As an exit relay operator, how can I
minimize the abuse risks often associated with insecure protocols? As
a member of the Tor community, how can I understand why making
_historically_-plaintext traffic on port 6667 (as opposed to usually
encrypted traffic on ports 993, 995, 587, 6697) part of the minimum
contribution is optimal for the network?

Long-term, I believe that Tor will need to move away from port-based
policies to standard / verified / signed deep-packet-inspection
plugins. I do have a short-term proposal though (below).

> The current Exit flag requires 2 ports out of [80, 443, 6667].
> Can you clarify what the two options are that you are suggesting here?

For starters, I would propose making it possible to run an Exit node
without relaying traffic to ports designed to carry insecure
protocols. That would mean a change as simple as "two ports from [80,
443, 6667-OR-6697]". Later, I would ask the Tor project to study the
traffic (by port numbers) and re-examine the port-based exit policy
system in general.

> And the Exit operator would need to set up DNSCrypt or similar.
> Otherwise Exit DNS requests are trivially monitorable.

I am using dnsmasq with a large (65536) cache and several 1ms-latency
upstream DNS servers it randomly picks from. I believe it should be
sufficient to complicate the DNS-assisted timing attacks that I am
aware of.

Thanks
- Igor