[tor-relays] Multiple relay instances, debian + systemd

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Mon Jul 3 22:35:25 UTC 2017

On 02.07.2017 00:03, Paw Møller wrote:
> it seems the main torrc is not read, so maybe this is just an fancy way
> of doing the "old"
> /usr/sbin/tor -f /usr/local/etc/torrc1
> /usr/sbin/tor -f /usr/local/etc/torrc2
> with separate configurationfiles and datadir?

Yes.

> I have a few extra ipv4 addresses. Should I allow each instance it's own
> IP or is sharing fine with one having (80,443) and the other (9091,9030)
> as (QR,DIR)port?
> I am aware that one IP can only be shared between two instances.

It does not really matter that much for exit relays. For guards, clients
may have difficulty reaching "non-standard ports". ORPort 443 and
DirPort 80 make the most sense as to the casual bystander it looks like
any other HTTPS/HTTP connection, so I would use multiple IPs and 443/80.

> Another question:
> Should I set the NumCPUs option to 2 or just leave it at 0(default)?
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en#NumCPUs

In some cases of severe optimization, you might want to use NumCPU 1 to
pin Tor to one CPU core. In all other cases, I would simply leave it at
0 (auto detect).

> And finally:
> Do you change the number of maximum file descriptors?

In most cases this should not be necessary.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/