[tor-relays] why my exit is not being used?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:27:42 UTC 2017

>>> that's my actual torrc, I've only edited HashedControlPassword
>>
>> Then please reload your torrc so that your tor process is using it.
> What I meant to say is that I edited HashedControlPassword on the email

What I need to know is whether the torrc you provided is actually the one
being used by tor.

>>> Port is open, tor is listening. no fw rules for IPv6
>>
>> That's the ORPort, an entry port.
>
> You are right, tor wasn't listening on the DirPort on IPv6. I've fixed
> that a few hours ago.

No tor version or role uses the IPv6 DirPort, and it's a pain to configure.

>> You say you have IPv6Exit and an ExitPolicy set in the torrc.
> I have exit rules for both, same rules apply to both protocols. An tor
> knows it
>
> Tor[22587]: tor_addr_parse_mask_ports(): '*:6881-6999' expands into
> rules which apply to all IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. (Use accept/reject
> *4:* for IPv4 or accept[6]/reject[6] *6:* for IPv6.)
>
> Tor[22587]: tor_addr_parse_mask_ports(): '*:*' expands into rules which
> apply to all
> IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. (Use accept/reject *4:* for IPv4 or
> accept[6]/reject[6] *6:* for IPv6.)

But if your ExitPolicy starts by rejecting IPv6 (as it does when IPv6Exit
is not set), none of these rules will ever be used.

>> But your relay does not exit to IPv6, both atlas (IPv6 Exit Policy
>> Summary) and your relay's descriptor (ipv6-policy) show that it does not
>> allow any IPv6 ports:
>>
>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/5E762A58B1F7FF92E791A1EA4F18695CAC6677CE
>>
>> (large file)
>> https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/server-descriptors/2017-01-29-12-05-00-server-descriptors
>>
>> Either that, or there is a bug in Tor relating to IPv6 Exit policies.
>> But I can't see anywhere in the code that makes the IPv6 exit policy
>> dependent on anything except ExitPolicy and IPv6Exit.
>>
>> Are there any log entries relating to IPv6 or exit policies?
>
> See above

Your relay still does not exit to IPv6.
This looks like it might be a tor bug, we're looking into it.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org