[tor-relays] SIGHUP causing obfs warning/disabling

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:55:10 UTC 2017

> On 19 Jan 2017, at 13:46, Geoff Down <geoffdown at fastmail.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 02:33 AM, teor wrote:
>>
>>> On 19 Jan 2017, at 13:30, Geoff Down <geoffdown at fastmail.net> wrote:
>
>>> Then a HUP produced the same sequence (but a different PID), with no
>>> sign of the lines you mention above regarding 'restart'.
>>> The original obsfproxy process 17356 is still in the same state.
>>
>> Is this error reproducible once the process 17356 is killed?
>
> In that case, after sending a HUP the transport was registered with no
> problem, just the normal messages to that effect.
> After sending *another* HUP, I did indeed get
> Nothing changed for managed proxy '/usr/bin/obfsproxy' after HUP: not
> restarting
>
> Where does that leave us? Cosmic rays?

Occasionally, the tor process fails to shut down a pluggable transport
process when tor exits. I believe this is an unavoidable consequence of
unexpected or unclean tor shutdowns or crashes.

If the pluggable transport is written to die when this happens, it is a
bug in the pluggable transport. (Does obfsproxy have an option to die
when the controlling process dies?)

If not, it's a missing feature in the pluggable transport.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org