[tor-relays] Proposing an Exit Node

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Thu Jan 19 00:06:39 UTC 2017

On 01/17/2017 12:00 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:49:46PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
>> Or you need adequate anonymity, and be willing to lose sunk cost.
>
> I think trying to run exit relays with anonymity, and with plans to
> discard them as needed, is a poor plan long-term. In the struggle for
> what the Internet can become, we need to be public and clear about who
> we are and why privacy is important for everybody.

I concur. Curiously, there has to be a public face and public venues for
anonymity as a service.

> (Yes, that looks like a contradiction, but I claim it isn't: privacy
> is about giving people choices, and to win this conflict we need some
> people who will make the choice to step up and be public and build
> relationships.)

A local makerspace was already planning on setting up a separate
hackerspace as is own legal entity for purposes of compartmentalization
when I introduced them to Tor.

> This "slash and burn agriculture" approach to running Tor relays, where
> you set up an exit relay, and if anybody gets angry you move on to
> another ISP, is really appealing since it's simple, but it assumes the
> Internet is infinite. If in fact we're destroying land without regard
> to sustainability, and we run out of land...

The trick, as I understand it, is to preclude the ISP from any legal
exposure or overhead whatsoever.

> The Internet is smaller and more centralized than we think, and we need
> the people who run it to see us as a worthwhile positive and contributing
> community.

I couldn't agree more.